Looking after your health as you get older is super important. Many of us over time become more vulnerable to illnesses. The aim of a 75+ health assessment is to reduce this risk. The health assessment provides a structured way of identifying health issues or risk factors and conditions that are potentially preventable or may require further health management.
The health assessment involves:
- Information collection, including taking a patient history and undertaking or arranging examinations and investigations as required;
- Making an overall assessment, recommending appropriate interventions; providing advice and health information.
- Measurement of the patient’s vital signs, medications, continence, immunisation status, patient’s physical function, psychological function (including the patient’s cognition and mood) and social function.
What assistance can I get from a health assessment?
There are several support services outside of our practice that can also support you. We can discuss and and assist you with:
- Registering and signing up to the “My Aged Care” portal
- Registering for a “My health record”
- Navigation of the healthcare system, including community, hospital and aged care systems
- Initiation of referrals for home help and support
- Explanation of Advanced Care Directives process and provision of paperwork for such
But, I’m not sick. Do I still need a health check?
If you feel you are at a healthy point in your life, this can be the best time to go and see your doctor. We use the information as a benchmark, if your health starts to veer from this point, we have a map to navigate back towards the healthiest you! Additionally, health checks often include bloodwork and other screening tests. Even though you may feel healthy, some of these tests may indicate otherwise.
Remember, being active towards preventative health is the best thing you can do to increase the likelihood that you will have optimal health and wellbeing for as long as possible!